Icom IC-7000 (USA) MARS/CAP Modification
Figure 1 - Screw Locations
Out-of-band mod which allows transmitting from 0-54, 118-173 and 400-470 MHz.
- Lift off the the top half of the radio case, after removing its securing screws.
- Remove CPU/DSP unit by unscrewing two silver screws holding it down (the silver box on the top of the radio with copper taped sides) and pull up. Screws are ringed in white (see Figure 1).
- Locate four shift registers and bank of diodes - shift registers are 4094's. There are two next to each other and then a couple more. We'll call the two stacked the "left" ones.
- The "left" shift register if looking from the front of the radio is the target.
- Locate bank of SMT diodes (silver with "K" on top on one side) in front of the target shift register. They are in two columns, "left" and "right"
- Unsolder one side of the second diode from the front on the left and lift up one side (or remove, slip to the side, whatever turns you on.)
After modification, TV channels 2-13 are available (USA) in NTSC format
- Push and hold [AF(set)] for one second to turn TV mode ON and OFF
- Rotate [M-ch] (inner control) to select the desired TV Channel
- The Band keys to the far right of the radio also change TV channels
- There will be a popup showing the TV channel (This can be turned off in set mode)
- The preamp and attenuator functions are functional in TV mode and each channel can store the preamp/attenuator on/off functions independently
- There will be a popup showing the ATT/P.AMP status (This can be turned off in set mode)
- Rotate [AF] for a suitable volume level.
- Modification information for MARS is the official modification info from ICOM USA, so the mod may not work for versions other than the USA #5 unit.
- IC-7000 owners performing the mod do so at their own risk.
- The diodes should be unsoldered carefully, not broken or crushed.
- If decision is made to reverse the modifications, remember these are diodes, and must be replaced in the proper direction.
- No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of the mod info, or for the consequences of its use.
- After the mod has been performed, the "Band Edge Beep" feature will no longer function, even if it has been enabled.
- The Automatic Repeater Shift on 2 meters and 440 is not affected by this mod.
- Transmitting on unauthorized frequencies is in breach of radio regulations.
Disclaimer: No liability is assumed for the accuracy of this material or the consequences of its use. Use of this information is intended to be educational and is at your own risk.
Modifications to your radio may void its warrantee and may be illegal in your country. It is your responsibility to check and follow the laws of your country in regards to this information. In
NO case should the TV function of this unit be watched by the driver while a vehicle is in motion. The pictures above are from the USA #5 version of the IC-7000. See additional notes after
the modification information.